The Downtown Hershey Association, a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation is seeking applications for a paid independent contractor to serve as the director of its weekly “Market on Chocolate.” The Downtown Hershey Association is led by a diverse group of volunteers comprised of Derry Township residents, business leaders, government officials, and civic organizations working to enhance the beauty of the downtown, attract new businesses, and improve the quality of life for everyone. Under the umbrella of “Life on Chocolate”, the group provides a full roster of family friendly events including Music on Chocolate, Choctoberfest, and Culturefest, in addition to Downtown Hershey’s Holiday Celebration and the summertime weekly Market on Chocolate.
Market on Chocolate is a Saturday market that runs from June through September, mid-morning through afternoon. The market offers a variety of choices for consumers that range from jewelry and artisan wares to unique retail food products, to prepared foods, baked goods, and fruits and vegetables. Different than a traditional farmers market, Market on Chocolate strives to provide incubator space for craft retail businesses that may not have a storefront presence. The market strives to be flexible in scheduling and will consider vendors on a case-by-case basis considering their contribution to the overall market atmosphere. Ultimately, the Market’s vibrant atmosphere will help to make Downtown Hershey the place to be on any given Saturday in the summer.
The Market on Chocolate Director provides oversight of the Market on a weekly basis, manages Market volunteers on the day of the market, and coordinates scheduling, layout, and payment by all vendors, based on a structured scale or pay-as-you-go schedule. The Market on Chocolate Director works with the Market Committee to schedule fitness offerings, children’s programming, and live music and entertainment to increase sense of community at Market. The Market on Chocolate Director position is a part-time position with flexible hours during the week and required Saturday market attendance. It is estimated that the position will require a total of approximately 200 hours between March and October. Reporting to the Downtown Hershey Association Manager and working closely with the Downtown Hershey Association (DHA) Brand Team, the Market Director’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Works with Downtown Hershey Association Manager and Market Committee to review and recommend changes to Market Policies.
- Recruits a diverse base of vendors to create an interesting market environment on a weekly basis.
- Responds to vendor application inquiries and manages vendor communication and correspondence before and during the season.
- Using the Market Management Google Sheet, develops and maintains fitness, vendor, children’s programming, and entertainment seasonal calendars and weekly schedule.
- Based on climate and weather, and in coordination with the Downtown Hershey Association Manager, Derry Township Public Works Department, and other organization partners, determines general location of the market on a weekly basis.
- Determines vendor layout on a weekly basis and provides information to participating vendors and volunteers no later than noon Friday each week.
- Monitors vendor payment tracking sheet and follows up with vendors as necessary to ensure payment in full.
Marketing and Branding Efforts
- Works with each vendor to develop a vendor description and profile for inclusion in Downtown Hershey Association print and digital media, and for inclusion in the Market Management Google Sheet.
- Develops a weekly blog post that includes participating vendors and activity schedule, to be finalized by the DHA Brand Team and included in the organization’s weekly e-newsletter, The Wrapper.
- Contributes to the Market on Chocolate facebook page at least twice during the week, and at least once during each Market day.
- Works with the DHA Brand Team to identify and implement other advertising opportunities.
- Attends each Market from opening to closing, and assists volunteers and vendors with setup and teardown. A maximum of two absences will be permitted during the season. Absences must be requested at least two weeks in advance and approved by the Downtown Hershey Association Manager.
- Coordinates and attends pre-season vendor meeting.
- Coordinates and attends Market on Chocolate committee meetings. Approximately six meetings will be held before and during the season.
- Prepares agendas and meeting summaries for all committee meetings.
- Coordinates and attends season evaluation and celebration.
- Strong leadership, planning, and organizational abilities.
- Strong customer service, relationship development, and relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to diplomatically work with various stakeholders in a professional capacity and mediate conflicts.
- Competence with Google apps.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous market or event coordination experience.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Downtown Hershey Association
600 Clearwater Road
Hershey, PA 17033
Deadline for submission is 4:00 p.m., January 31, 2018.